VISION & MISSION
As we continue to serve, we support the hospital vision/mission by means of providing comprehensive and accessible source of medical information that helps healthcare professionals in achieving health care service.
The SPMC Library is a modern information center envisioned to achieve the following goals:
- To support the Southern Philippines Medical Center's Mission/ Vision and Objectvies by means of providing comprehensive and accessible source of medical information
- To render library services to all hospital staff and affiiliates who deliver heath care services to the people of Southern Philippines
- To provide a comfortable venue for research and studies to the members of the SPMC community
- Library users especially the resident physicians and consultants ask for assitance in finding materials and sources for medical literatures, articles, studies and other researches.
- The librarian or library staff may be asked to conduct searches of medical literatures, articles, studies and other topics by the resident physicians, consultants and nurses.
- Library users may assistance in using the computers and in accessing data and information for their technical needs.
- Library users are able to loan out or borrow books and journals from the book stock collection. However, some restrictions have been imposed to maximize the use of the colleciton.
DOH Integrated e-Library System
A web-based union catalog that contains bibliographic records (some with full-text) of books, journal articles, AVPs, photographs, and other collections of DOH Central Office, Regional Health Office, and DOH Hospital Libraries and Resource Centers.
Equipped with a collection of books, medical journals and other references which can be loaned or borrowed by the uesrs. Collection focused in the medical field. Uses the NLM Classification, LC Classification, LC Subject Headings and Medical Subject Heading (MESH) in the organization of collection and adopted an open shelf system to the clientele.
Circulation books are part of the collection wherein users may borrow for a certain number of days.
Reference books are those books that cover the whole branch of knowledge, broad in scope and provide direct information to the user such as dictionaries, almanacs, yearbooks, atlases, encyclopedias, handbooks, manuals and others.
Filipiniana books are books authored by Filipinos or Non-Filipinos in whole or in part about the Philippines.
Periodicals are publications occurring at constant interval. It includes journals, newspapers, magazines, pamphlets, clippings, government publications, bulletings and others.
The Online Sources
Library has different online sources either open access (free access) or subscribe that are useful in the user's research and studies. Some sources are in full text and can be downloaded free. All library users may avail the online sources by asking the assistance of the librarian or library staff. Librarian and library staff will guide the users and will provide details of the online sources such as titles available and techniques in searching the topics. Downloading of articles and studies abide the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines or Republic Act No. 8293.